Salt & Pepper Squid
> Dairy Free > Nut Free > Soy Free
Here is Kirkbright Seafood's take on a classic. Our secret ingredient to make delicious Salt & Pepper Squid is using white pepper, as well, as black pepper. The chilli flakes also add a nice little kick to the dish, so trust us when we say it is absolutely deeeeelicious! We like to shallow fry our squid, which not only saves time, but also keeps clean up to a minimum.
¼ Cup Plain Flour
¼ Cup Rice Flour
1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
1 Tsp White Pepper
3 Tsp Sea Salt
2 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Australian Squid Tubes - cut in half lengthwise and then portioned into bite size triangular pieces
Vegetable Oil - for frying
Extra Salt & Black Pepper - to taste
Lemon & Lime - wedged
1. Add oil to a fry pan for shallow frying.
2. While oil is warming up, place plain flour, rice flour, chilli flakes, white pepper, black pepper and salt into a bowl and mix.
3. Place squid rings into flour mix and coat well.
4. Flick a small piece of flour mix into the pan. If it bubbles instantly, the oil is ready.
5. Add squid rings in small batches to hot oil, cooking for 1-2 minutes each side.
6. Once cooked, place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
7. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and sea salt, as well as some fresh lemon and lime wedges.
By cooking the squid pieces in batches, the heat of the oil stays even throughout the cooking process!